WordPress by default allow users to upload the following file types only
- .pdf (Portable Document Format; Adobe Acrobat)
- .doc, .docx (Microsoft Word Document)
- .ppt, .pptx, .pps, .ppsx (Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation)
- .odt (OpenDocument Text Document)
- .xls, .xlsx (Microsoft Excel Document)
- .mp4, .m4v (MPEG-4)
- .mov (QuickTime)
- .wmv (Windows Media Video)
- .ogv (Ogg)
- .3gp (3GPP)
- .3g2 (3GPP2)
WordPress will show a security warning like the following when you try to upload other file formats.
Sorry, this file type is not permitted for security reasons.
This addon plugin will remove the limitation and allow you to upload other file types so you can use it with the Download Monitor plugin.
Download the Plugin
Click here to download the plugin.
- Go to the Add New plugins screen in your WordPress admin area
- Click the upload tab
- Browse for the plugin file (sdm-allow-more-file-types.zip)
- Click Install Now and then activate the plugin
Works with the latest version of WordPress and Simple Download Monitor.
You just have to keep this addon plugin active in your site. It will allow you to upload other file types to your WordPress site via the media uploader.