When you activate and install the Simple Download Monitor and Manager Plugin, all text will be displayed in English. If your customer base will be from a non-English speaking background, or you yourself cannot understand or speak English you may wish to translate the plugin. In this document we will look at two different methods of translating this plugin.
Current Translations of SDM
You can translate the SDM plugin directly from WordPress.Org. This page can be found by clicking here. If you wish to translate the plugin into another language, it is a good idea to go to the WordPress.Org Translation Page to see if any of the translation for you chosen language has already been completed by another user. This can save you both time and effort.
Currently the Simple Download Monitor and Manager Plugin is available in English although a full translation of this plugin in the Spanish language has now been completed. In addition to a Spanish translation of the plugin, a large percentage of the plugin has also been translated in Dutch, Italian, Russian and German. If you wish to use already translated text you can simply use the ‘Export’ button to download the contents that you can then add to your WordPress website.
Translating the Simple Download Plugin
1) Translating with Poedit
Here is a step by step guide on how you can translate the Simple Download Monitor and Manager Plugin into your own language:
1. Download and install Poedit (http://www.poedit.net/download.php)
2. Get the plugins POT file. You can find this file inside the “languages” folder of this plugin.
3. Run Poedit software and open the POT file in Poedit.
5. Select each translatable text and add the translation in the box that says “Translation”
6. Finish translating the whole file or the parts you find necessary.
7. Go to ‘File’ and ‘Save as’ to save your translations in a PO file.
8. When you are finished translating, go to ‘File’ and ‘Save as’ again to generate the MO file.
9. Contact the SDM Plugin Support Team and send us the translated .mo and .po files and we will add it to the plugin.
Translating with the ‘Loco Translate’ Plugin
The Loco Translate plugin, a popular WordPress plugin to translate files is actively installed on almost a million other WordPress websites. This plugin allows you to translate other files/plugins without needing to leave your WordPress website.
Ensure you have the Simple Download Monitor Plugin active on your WordPress site and then follow the Loco Translate beginners guide. This will allow you to easily translate certain phrases or the entirety of the plugin into a language of your choosing.